Get out of your lunchtime rut and make packing lunches more exciting with this Chickpea Walnut Sandwich.
Ever get in a lunch rut? Need new ideas for packing your kids’ or your own lunch? Are packable noontime options dwindling? Surely you’ve met the ‘What shall I pack for lunch?” question.
I always pack my lunch for the next day the night before. If not, I’m typically running out the door and a Siggi’s yogurt, KIND bar, and a piece of fruit are just tossed in my bag on my way out. I don’t mind those “snacky” kind of lunches once in a while, but I’d prefer more of a meal kind of lunch.
This chickpea walnut sandwich is a plant-based tuna/chicken salad makeover. I always try and make sure protein is present at lunchtime to help keep me full through the afternoon. Chickpeas are the perfect pulse for this recipe because the firm texture holds its shape. The addition of the walnuts is key for the crunch factor, while also providing heart-healthy fats.
Greek yogurt is a great substitute for mayonnaise to trim back on saturated fat and replace it with a boost of protein and calcium instead.
Add to a sandwich, top on a salad, or dip with crackers – this chickpea walnut mixture is versatile to get you out of your lunchtime rut.Print
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- (Optional) Toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion
- Add chickpeas to a bowl and lightly mash with a fork. (Not too much. We aren’t making hummus!) Add walnuts, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, honey, and scallions and mix together. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add a desired amount of the chickpea mixture to the bread and add desired toppings. Top with the other slice of bread.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
Keywords: sandwich, vegetarian, plant-based