Warm up this winter with a warm bowl of Vegetable Lentil Soup. This vegan soup will be sure to help meet your daily recommendations of veggies for the day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 (1 quart) box Progresso vegetable cooking stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups kale, ribs removed and chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots, cook stirring often, until onion becomes tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and thyme. Cook until fragrant. Add fire roasted tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Add the lentils, then pour in Progresso vegetable cooking stock and water. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring soup to a boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Transfer 3 cups of soup into a blender or food processor (make sure to get an even mixture of veggies and broth). Puree mixture until smooth. Add pureed soup back into the pot and add kale. Cook until wilted.
Keywords: lentil, vegan, vegetarian, soup, plant-based