Rise and shine with a savory muffins breakfast. Try a savory twist on breakfast muffins with these Sun Dried Tomato Corn Muffins.
This month, Recipe ReDux members were challenged to create new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast.
Growing up in an Italian family, bread was accompanied with dinner on the side with any dish. We did eat a lot of Italian dishes growing up, so fresh Italian bread was typically served with those dinners. The times we strayed away from our Italian roots, there was still bread on the table and often cornbread since that was one of my sister’s favorites.
I remember not thinking some of the dinners didn’t pair well with the sweet corn bread, so I took the opportunity with this challenge to change it up a little and create a savory corn muffin.
These savory corn muffins were great on their own. I also melted a little cheddar cheese on top. My mind instantly started thinking of recipes to pair these muffins with, like a hearty soup, chili, or sauteed collard greens. These would even be great cut up and turned into a savory corn bread stuffing.
Do you prefer savory or sweet corn muffins?Print
- 1 ¼ cup finely ground cornmeal
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain full fat (or 2%) Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup milk
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray eight wells of the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg, vanilla extract, yogurt, honey, and milk.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in sun-dried tomatoes.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter into eight muffin wells.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until tops turn golden and center feels firm to the touch.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @rdeliciouskitchen on Instagram or send me a picture, I’d love to see!
Pin it for later!