This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is an easy fruit dessert that can be made year round and what makes it even better is the oat streusel topping!
For the filling:
3 cups quartered fresh strawberries
3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or thawed frozen rhubarb*
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
½ cup lightly packed light brown sugar
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
⅓ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
4–6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt, transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare topping: Combine brown sugar, oats, flour, and butter (starting with 4 tablespoons of butter) in a medium bowl; stir until thoroughly combined. If mixture seems to dry, add additional 1-2 tablespoons of butter. Crumble the topping evenly over the strawberry-rhubarb mixture.
- Bake the crisp until the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes; serve warm or at room temperature.
- If using frozen rhubarb or strawberries, thaw then be sure to drain any excess liquid.
Keywords: crisp, strawberry, rhubarb, summer dessert, dessert