This Squash & Wheat Berry Salad captures all the different flavors of sweet, savory, tart, and nutty. Batch cook for the week for a satisfying meal or side dish.
- 2 cups wheat berries, cooked
- 1 delicata squash (about 2 cups), or your favorite squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- zest of one orange
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup sliced almond
- Cook wheat berries according to package directions (or try my Instant Pot Wheat Berries recipe for a simple method). Let cool once cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Dice delicate squash. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until squash is tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- In a mason jar, combine remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, and maple syrup. Secure the mason jar lid and vigorously shake. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine wheat berries, squash, kale, dried tart cherries, and sliced almond. Dress with salad dressing. Toss to combine.
Instant Pot Wheat Berries recipe here
Keywords: side dish, farro, whole grain, squash, salad