Set it and forget it! These Slow Cooker Thai Meatballs are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy that everyone will keep coming back for.
- 3 stalks lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2-inch knob of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2/3 cup Thai chili sauce
- ¼ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. ground chicken breast
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chives, divided
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- (optional) fresh lime wedges, to garnish
- In a food processor, combine lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, and hoisin sauce. Process the mixture until it forms a paste.
- In a small sauté pan add half the paste, reserving the remaining half for the meatballs. Cook stirring until fragrant. Remove from the pan and add to a slow cooker.
- Stir in the chili sauce, SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and water with the paste in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or until reduced by half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the remaining paste, ground chicken, panko, egg, ¼ cup of the chives, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Mix meatball mixture until well combined. If the mixture is too wet, add more panko.
- Roll meatballs into golf ball size meatballs; line on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Add meatballs to the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking, stirring to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining chives and peanuts. Slice limes.
- Once the timer is up, sprinkle meatballs with the peanuts and chives. Serve meatballs with lime wedges.
Keywords: slow cooker, appetizer, meatballs, crockpot