Looking for a new appetizer idea? Set it and forget it! These Slow Cooker Thai Meatballs are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy that everyone will keep coming back for.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by SPLENDA® Sweeteners and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
This past weekend, my family did our second annual fantasy football draft. I am feeling pretty good about my picks. There is a trophy on the line and I want bragging rights this year.
With football season about to start, it’s got me thinking of new recipes for Sunday football game gatherings. Let’s be honest, if my team isn’t playing, I’m mainly just there for the food.
Why SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend?
These Slow Cooker Thai Meatballs have the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, sweetened with SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend and adds a kick of spice with Thai chili sauce. SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend is made from only 2 non-GMO ingredients: stevia & cane sugar. With 50% Fewer calories than sugar, a 1⁄2 teaspoon of SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend gives you the same amount of sweetness as a full teaspoon of traditional sugar. Bonus – it has no bitter aftertaste that you sometimes get with other artificial or alternative sweeteners.
If serving as an appetizer, keep them on warm in the crockpot and serve with small skewers or toothpicks to or serve over quinoa or cauliflower rice to make a main dish.
Set it and forget it! These Slow Cooker Thai Meatballs are the perfect balance of sweet and spicy that everyone will keep coming back for.
- 3 stalks lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2-inch knob of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2/3 cup Thai chili sauce
- ¼ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend
- 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. ground chicken breast
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chives, divided
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- (optional) fresh lime wedges, to garnish
- In a food processor, combine lemongrass, shallots, garlic, ginger, and hoisin sauce. Process the mixture until it forms a paste.
- In a small sauté pan add half the paste, reserving the remaining half for the meatballs. Cook stirring until fragrant. Remove from the pan and add to a slow cooker.
- Stir in the chili sauce, SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and water with the paste in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or until reduced by half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the remaining paste, ground chicken, panko, egg, ¼ cup of the chives, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Mix meatball mixture until well combined. If the mixture is too wet, add more panko.
- Roll meatballs into golf ball size meatballs; line on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Add meatballs to the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking, stirring to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining chives and peanuts. Slice limes.
- Once the timer is up, sprinkle meatballs with the peanuts and chives. Serve meatballs with lime wedges.
Keywords: slow cooker, appetizer, meatballs, crockpot
Pin it for later!