Take advantage of peak squash season. Try this Italian Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe for a simple dinner solution.
- 2 delicata squashes, sliced vertically and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place delicata squash flesh side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook onion and garlic until onion begins to turn translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up turkey into small pieces. Drain any excess juices, if needed.
- Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and spinach. Cook until spinach has wilted and juices have reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove delicata squash from the oven flipping the squash so flesh side is facing up. Fill the squash wells with Italian turkey filling.
- Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until squash is fork tender and flavors have soaked into the squash.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Keywords: squash, delicata squash, turkey