Do you have an overabundance of zucchini from your garden or the farmer’s market? Turn it into this delicious Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. With only a hint of sweetness, this can be enjoyed with any meal or snack.
Do you enjoy cooking or baking more?
I tend to enjoy cooking more as you can adjust the taste as you go and have more control throughout the process of a dish during the cooking process. For me, baking (especially when developing a new recipe), is much more intimidating. Why? Because you measure, mix, pour into a pan… and then hope for the best! Once that timer goes off you find out if it’s a win or a flop.
This quickbread a little denser than regular quick bread, as I used half whole wheat flour. When I bake I try to squeeze in whole grains where I can. My favorite whole grain flours to bake with are whole wheat flour and oat flour. I’ve also been experimenting with almond flour and coconut flour too, which totally throw you for a curveball because they have very different baking properties.
Want to add your own twist to this chocolate chip zucchini bread? Turn it into a banana chocolate chip zucchini bread by swapping out the applesauce for mashed banana. Enjoy more texture? Try adding walnuts into the mix! Remember – recipes are just a guide. Always feel free to add your own twist.Print
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 zucchinis)
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini. Using paper towels press as much moisture you can from the zucchini.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Fold zucchini into flour. This will help zucchini being dispersed throughout the bread vs. clumping together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time, mixing until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before taking it out of the loaf pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Keywords: zucchini bread, zucchini, chocolate chips, baking, whole grain,
This recipe was originally posted in 2013. The recipes, images, and content have been updated.