- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray or parchment paper.
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas until smooth, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the whole wheat pastry flour, chia seeds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, brown sugar, and applesauce until smooth. Add in the chickpeas, vanilla extract, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips. (Batter will be thick)
- Scoop the cookie dough batter (about 2 ounces each) onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
Keywords: cookie, chocolate chip cookie, chia seeds, healthy dessert, dessert, chickpeas