For the Filling:
½ lb ground turkey
2 tablespoons olive oil (or canola oil)
1 medium bell pepper, small dice
½ medium onion, small dice
½ medium zucchini, shredded
1 (15 oz.) canned tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup Cabot pepper-jack cheddar cheese, shredded
For the Biscuit Cups:
4 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup Cabot habanero cheddar, shredded
- Starting with the filling: In a shallow pot, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil. Then add the ½ lb of ground turkey over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Toss in all of the onion, zucchini, and pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes until the onions are translucent
- Mix in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all of the spices. Let the tomato sauce reduce for another 5 minutes to get a nice thick chili. Set aside until it’s time to fill the biscuit cups.
- For the Biscuit Cups: Preheat the oven to 350℉. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour until the butter is in small pea-size pieces and evenly distributed throughout. For this, you can use a pastry cutter, a fork, or even your hands.
- Slowly incorporate the milk and shredded cheese until a solid yet slightly sticky dough has formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for a minute. Then, roll it out into a ¼” sheet. Cut circles out of the dough to fit into muffin tins.
- Fill the muffin tin with the dough circles and make sure the dough lines the wall of each tin. The goal is to make these into little cups. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes
- Take the biscuits out of the oven. Then make a well in each cup with a spoon to put in the filling. Once the filling is in the cup and topped with Cabot shredded pepper jack, put them back in the oven for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted and biscuits are finished baking.
Recipe development support by Corinne Levy, JWU culinary nutrition intern.
Keywords: chili, biscuits, Cabot cheese, cheddar cheese