July 2013 Recipe Redux submission is here!
What is Recipe Redux? Click here to learn all about it!
July 2013 Theme: Have Snacks, Will Travel!
Sometimes, the food is the best part of the journey. Be it business travel or a road trip for pleasure, share your favorite travel snacks/mini meals. Do you pack a special treat for the road to eat in the car or at rest stops? Or do you have a tried & true snack that makes it safely through airport security? Share your healthy recipe for road trip nourishment.
This was a perfect theme for me because I am currently on vacation right now and I needed to pack snacks for my travel time yesterday. I always like to pack snacks with me when I am traveling. It ensures that I will have a healthy snack and plus saves money from buying snacks that are way over priced at the airport.
I love these bars because they are super filling and easy to carry in your bag.
Blueberry Quinoa Bars
Makes 8 servings
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg whites, and vanilla until combined.
4. Slowly add in the flour mixture until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Gently fold in the quinoa, oats, blueberries and pecans.
6. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 12-14 minute, until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into 8 even bars and wrap individually for a perfect traveling snack!
Click on the link below to look at all the other submissions